Uranus is the seventh planet from the Sun and the third largest planetary radius and fourth largest planetary mass, in the Solar System.
Uranus and Neptune are ice giants. The other two giant planets, Jupiter and Saturn are gas giants.
Uranus is the only planet whose name is derived directly from a figure from Greek mythology,
from the Latinised version of the Greek god of the sky Ouranos.
When viewed from Earth Uranus is visible to the naked eye, but it was never recognised as a
planet by ancient observers because of it's dimness and slow orbit
Uranus in Astronomy
- Uranus' diameter ranges from 49,946 - 51,118 kms
- Circumference around Uranus 159,354 kms
- Uranus has 27 known Uranuss and 13 known Rings
- Notable Uranuss are Titania, Oberon, Umbriel, Ariel and Miranda
- Orbit distance - 2,870,658,186 kms
- Orbit period - 30,687.15 Earth days (84.02 Earth years)
- Surface temperature of Uranus is -197 degrees celcius
- Length of day is 17 Earth hours
- Length of year is 84 Earth years
- First recorded - 13th March, 1781 by William Herschel
Uranus in Astrology
- Rules Aquarius and the 11th House
- Spends around 7 year in each Sign
Uranus is a Trans-personal / Outer Planet, the challenges are more evolutionary, beyond the Self.
The function is the development of individuality, of the capacity to question authority.
The transcendence of cultural and social programming.
Uranus urges us towards differentiation, originality, and independence from tradition, to reform.
The need for change, to push boundaries and go beyond status quo.
The need for excitement and individual expression without restraint.
- In what department of life must I be most willing to function without social approval?
- Where must I learn to break the rules and follow my own path?
- Where will I consistently receive the most misleading advice?
- Which authorities am I destined to challenge and offend?
Back 2 Top