Originally considered to be a ninth planet, Pluto was re-classified a dwarf planet in 2006.
Pluto resides in the Kuiper belt, a ring of bodies beyond Neptune.
Pluto is the largest and second most massive known dwarf planet in the Solar System,
and the ninth largest and tenth most massive known object directly orbiting the Sun.
The name Pluto, after the god of the underworld, was proposed by Venetia Burney (1918–2009),
an 11 year old schoolgirl in Oxford, England, who was interested in classical mythology.
Pluto received every vote by members of the Lowell Observatory, in the US.
The name was announced on May 1, 1930.
Pluto in Astronomy
- Pluto's diameter is 2,372 kms (+-2kms)
- Circumference around Pluto is 7,232 kms
- Pluto has 5 known Moons, Charon, Nix, Hydra, Kerberos and Styx
- Orbit distance - 5,874,000,000 kms
- Orbit period - 246.04 Earth years
- Surface temperature of Pluto is -229 degrees celcius
- Lenth of day is 6.4 Earth days
- Length of year is 248 Earth years
- First recorded - 1930 by Clyde Tombaugh
Pluto in Astrology
- Rules Scorpio and the 8th House
- Spends around 12-30 years in each Sign
Pluto is a Trans-personal / Outer Planet, the challenges are more evolutionary, beyond the Self.
The function is the realisation of one's destiny.
Pluto urges us toward total rebith, to penetrate the core of experience.
The need to dig deep and bring to consciousness the hidden self, need to let go of the old through pain.
The power gained from resurrection, the feeling of non-invincibility.
- Where can I find enduring significance in my life?
- Where in myself might I find wisdom for which there is a great need in the world around me?
- Where must I guard against dogmatic, unscrupulous, or tyrannical behaviour?
Back 2 Top