Neptune is the eighth and farthest known planet from the Sun in the Solar System.
It is the fourth largest planet by diameter, the third most massive planet, and the densest giant planet.
Neptune and Uranus are ice giants. The other two giant planets, Jupiter and Saturn are gas giants.
Neptune has a faint and fragmented ring system, which was discovered in 1982.
It is named after the Roman god of the sea and it's astronomical symbol is a
stylised version of the god Neptune's trident.
Neptune in Astronomy
- Neptune's diameter is 48,682 to 49,528 kms
- Circumference around Neptune is 155,600 kms
- Neptune has 14 known Moons
- Most notable Moon is Triton
- Orbit distance - 4,498,396,441 kms
- Orbit period - 60,190.03 Earth days (164.79 Earth years)
- Surface temperature of Neptune is -201 degrees celcius
- Lenth of day is 16 Earth hours
- Length of year is 165 Earth years
- First recorded - Sept 23rd 1846 by Urbain Le Verrier and Johann Galle
Neptune in Astrology
- Rules Pisces and the 12th House
- Spends around 14 years in each Sign
Neptune is a Trans-personal / Outer Planet, the challenges are more evolutionary, beyond the Self.
The function is the decentralisation of ego in self-imagery.
Neptune urges us to escape from the limitations of self, attachments, control, desires and the material world.
The need to experience a oneness with life, a complete merger with the whole, the need to free self from ego.
- Where must I learn to de-emphasise logic and to function intuitively?
- Where is narrow self-interest most inappropriate and destructive to me?
- Where am I most vulnerable to mistaking wishes and fears for reality?
Back 2 Top